Saturday 6 February 2010

Oil Refineries/ Oil Rigs

The group as a whole wanted the mine to look futuristic but at the same time aesthetic and believable. Having done a project similar to this in the first term I gathered some images of oil rigs and oil refineries. Although these structures are not mines they are places where raw materials are extracted or refined/ made pure. I was mainly interested in the architecture and technologies that made up these installations. The structures themselves look futuristic and it was my job as a conceptual artist within the group to take these references and extract elements that we could use in our three dimensional environment.

When gathering the images and observing them I looked closely at the structures and how they were built. The asymmetrical nature of the installations caught my eye as we could incorporate this into the mine we wanted to build. The structures themselves were almost locked within a scaffolding framework and riddled with piping and conduits which I wanted to emulate in the final product.































No comments:

Post a Comment