Friday 19 February 2010

Finer details

Once i had finished the main bulk of the ship I proceeded to model the finer details of the model which would cover up the flat edges and surfaces which I was not happy with, but were fundamental to the ship's foundations. I built many cylinders and spheres to create the details under the fuselage which would create the drop tanks and radar equipment which would make the ship more aesthetic. By adding these finer details it would make the ship appear more chaotic, I was trying to replicate the haphazard technology that is reminiscent of present day aircraft. If you look under the fuselage of modern aircraft there are all sorts of cylindrical objects and equipment, this is what I was trying to achieve. By adding a vast amount of pylons and radar equipment I was hoping to achieve the same effect as the Sullaco in Aliens. These cylindrical elements were easy to build and could be duplicated many times as well as distorted to create some very cool details.

I was extremely happy with the final result as the model resembled some of my earlier drawings. The ship maintained a consistency with the other models in the environment. At this stage I was imagining how these huge behemoths would travel through the sky's looming high above the planets surface. The overall object is very domineering, because of its huge size and resembles an airborne oil tanker. This is the effect I wanted to achieve from the very beginning and was very pleased with the result.

Now the ship needed a realistic texture that would resemble metal plating, only then would the model be a true success. 


No comments:

Post a Comment